As I write this on a drizzly April morning, May Day looks a bit wet still, which is miserable. I was hoping to have a day out with the family, enjoying the fact that the shop will be closed on Bank Holiday Monday, as usual. So it looks more like a day dodging showers while we chicken-proof the veg patch this weekend! We’re very late with the produce this year and won’t be able to grow nearly as much as we normally attempt (attempt is the right word – we grow without pesticides etc and sometimes nature wins, no matter what companion planting you use) so it will probably just be peppers, tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse and beans in the veg patch. I shall investigate what’s in the seeds box this weekend and come up with a plan. Fingers crossed the weather will improve for the next Bank Holiday at the end of the month!
A simple meal for the Bank Holiday:
“Fish” Fingers and Chips
- VBites Fish Style Fingers (£2.99 for 6 fingers)
- Oil Spray
- Salt and Pepper (£3.00 for a grinder)
- Tinned peas
- Put the oven on at 200°C, Gas Mark 6.
- Cut the potatoes into chips and parboil until softened.
- Spread the parboiled chips on an oven tray, spray them with the oil spray and sprinkle salt and pepper all over, to taste.
- Put in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, until starting to go golden.
- Turn the chips over and add the fish style fingers. Cook for another 15 minutes, until the chips and fingers are cooked.
- Serve with tinned processed peas and bread and butter. Simple and delicious!